The negative effects of a sedentary lifestyle
Sedentary is defined as sitting for eight or more hours a day. You may think this does not pertain to you, but look closer. The time we spend sitting can add up fast. Consider your time at work, the commute, driving the kids to school or sports, watching TV, reading emails or browsing through Facebook.
It’s easy to see why new statistics are describing sitting as a disease. Some facts to consider:
- Physical inactivity is the fourth leading risk factor for mortality worldwide and contributes to 3.2 million deaths per year – World Health Organization.
- A sedentary lifestyle may be twice as deadly as obesity – Cambridge University study.
Don’t become another statistic; follow some easy tips to avoid or combat too much sitting.
- Exercise. Even a brisk 20 minute walk each day can reduce your risk of early death by up to 30%. Join a local gym or Crossfit facility for motivation from others.
- Change your workstation and habits. More people and companies are changing to a standing desk set-up. If this is not possible, be sure to take frequent breaks from your chair. A quick walk can help your body and clear your mind for more focused thinking.
- Fix your posture. Poor posture has a profound effect on your health and prolonged sitting and computer work can play havoc on your posture.
- Visit a Chiropractor to discuss your workplace ergonomics and have your posture checked. Regular chiropractic care, exercise and proper nutrition should be part of your new lifestyle.
Method Health Center of Daniel Island provides Chiropractic, Massage, Dry-Needling, Weight Loss and Sports Recovery. Call today to schedule a FREE digital posture exam and workplace ergonomics consultation.[/vc_column][/vc_row]